Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors
- Developing, maintaining, and reviewing policies and procedures as mandated by regulatory requirements relating to anti-money laundering and counter-financing of terrorism (AML/CFT).
- The MLRO will also act as support and counsel for Senior Management in this capacity. This will include keeping up to date with changes in regulation as well as new techniques, trends, and vulnerabilities used to launder money and finance terrorism, performing impact assessments of such developments, flagging the need to change existing risk assessments and/or controls, and thereby ensuring that the business's risk-based AML/CFT regime remains effective at all times.
- Establishing and maintaining adequate and proper record-keeping, logging and reporting procedures within the company.
- Receiving internal reports on possible instances of money laundering or terrorism financing to determine whether sufficient grounds exist for the submission of a Suspicious Transaction Report (STR) to the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU) and taking any and all other necessary actions.
- Act as a point of contact for the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU")
Collaborate with the various internal departments to find new and optimized ways to work in the field of AML/CTF, fraud prevention, and anti- bribery.
- Knowing the clients and prospective clients and ensuring that appropriate onboarding measures are being carried out.
- Considering insider internal reports of money laundering/funding of terrorism and deciding if there are sufficient grounds for suspicion to file a suspicion transaction report (STR") to the FIAU.
- Design and implement an ongoing training programme for the company, ensuring that all employees are aware of their legal obligations, of the risks associated with AML/CFT, internal reporting mechanisms in place, as well as providing updates and information on AML/CFT to improve awareness and knowledge.
- Assist the Compliance Function with required reports, both internal and external.
- Assist the compliance function with compliance matters in general.
- Ensure compliance with company and other relevant regulations at all times.
- Fluent English. Other languages will be considered an asset.
- A good team player, capable of leading in a fast-paced pressured environment maintaining accuracy and quality.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to deal efficiently with different internal departments and external counterparts.
- Ability to build relationships effectively, both in the immediate team and wider business.
- Attention to detail and ability to assess potential legal and compliance risks.
Have a strong degree of honesty, integrity, and trustworthiness
- Minimum 4 years of experience as an MLRO, acting for international companies, preferably from the financial services industry.
It will be considered an asset if the candidate is already PQ'd by the MFSA
- Qualifications in AML/CFR and related subjects, together with a high level of knowledge of AML/CFT laws and regulations, financial crime methodologies, and risk factors.
- Familiarity with AML regulations and guidelines (4th, 5th AML Directive, FIAU implementing Procedures) is a must.
Bachelor's degree in Banking, Commerce, Law, or any other similar qualifications will be considered an asset
- Confident and self-sufficient.
- Self-Starter able to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrable ability to understand parameters of authority.
- Ability to communicate clearly written and verbal.
- Flexible and comfortable with a broad variety of duties that may change at short notice.
- Genuine passion for legal, compliance and finance.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and offer clear guidance to others.
- Strong values combined with a readiness to challenge convention.
- Proactive, emotionally intelligent individual with great people skills and keen eye for detail.
- Ability to balance business priorities with compliance imperatives yet act independently and without influence of others in the organisation.